- 4 – 6 Portobello mushrooms
- Polenta tube
- Mock sausage sliced (~ six links)
- Chopped Onion
- Minced fresh elephant garlic ½ clove or to taste
- 1 c Sliced mushrooms ( can use the stems from mushroom caps)
- Flour or cornstarch (thickener) diluted in water or broth to a milkshake like consistency
- Dash of soy sauce
- Vegetable broth
- Olive oil
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped Italian parsley and or basil (any fresh or dried herb combination)
- Grate or shredded cheese (optional)
Clean and dry mushrooms rub inside with olive oil and pepper. Place on lightly greased baking tray or casserole pan.
Slice polenta ~ ½ inch and place inside mushroom
Sauté onions in olive oil until clear then add chopped mock sausage and cook until slightly brown. add garlic. Cook garlic ~ 3 min covered then add chopped mushrooms and ¾ herbs and cover. Cook until mushrooms have rendered juice and come to a boil. Add flour or cornstarch thickening mixture. Keep stirring until thick then add dash of soy sauce followed by slowly adding broth to make gravy.
Spoon out mushroom, onion, and mock sausage filling onto polenta filled mushroom caps. Keep most of the liquid from gravy mixture for latter..
Add cheese if desired and cook covered in oven 350 degrees for about 20 – 30 min. When mushrooms are firm but still cooked through serve topped with remaining heated gravy and remaining uncooked fresh herbs.